The northernmost village in the Tampere region, Killinkoski is conveniently located along road 68, halfway between Virrat and Ähtäri. The centre of the village is dominated by P.G. Holm’s former ribbon factory, whose oldest building was designed by church architect Josef Stenbäck in 1908. The finely preserved factory milieu is a nationally important cultural heritage site.
The Killinkoski village society has turned the former ribbon factory into an interesting and diverse museum that vividly displays the history of a small industrial town in the middle of the countryside. The old factory milieu is home to the Ribbon Industry Museum and the Camera Museum of Finland – ‘Camera Heaven’ – as well as exhibitions on education in the olden days, the work of volunteer fire departments, salons of hairdressers and barbers, and nostalgic toys.
In addition to the museum’s exhibitions, the Killinkoski Factory houses the outlet store of Nauhala Ltd, which offers the largest selection of ribbons in Finland; facilities for changing exhibitions; a framing shop; flea markets; and a cosy museum café. Persons with limited mobility should note that there are many stairs in the factory buildings but the car park, café, and art gallery are fully accessible to the disabled.
Contacts and opening hours:
Opening hours and other information can be found on the museum’s web pages.