The Parkano Local History Museum is located in a sturdy red-granite-walled parish granary that was built in 1890 in the immediate vicinity of Parkano Church. After its corn crib activities ended, the granary became home to a local history museum that opened to the public in 1958. The inside walls of the museum are made of squared red pine logs from Parkano that used to serve as grain cribs.
The museum building has seven small rooms downstairs and an open space upstairs. Displayed at the museum is a diverse collection of everyday items related to life in Parkano, including farmhouse tools, equipment used for making bark bread, and the instruments used by a midwife and a female shoemaker. Men’s and women’s outfits from the late 19th or early 20th century and a local wedding dress are also on display. Objects donated by the parish of Parkano are housed upstairs. The pride of the collection is a copy by Germund Paaer of Akseli Gallen-Kallela’s famous painting ‘Defence of the Sampo’. The section on Gustaf Wrede, ‘the Baron of Parkano’, is also worth a visit.
When you visit the museum, note also the cemetery wall, also of red granite, and the magnificent bell tower. The wooden Parkano Church, from 1800, is worth a visit, too.
Contact information and opening times
15th Jun-6nd Aug 2017: