There is a museum in the gallery of Luopioinen Church. The beautiful wooden church, built by Matti Åkergren of Ruovesi, was completed in 1813 as ‘the Church of the Transfiguration of Christ’. The two-part altarpiece depicts the Last Supper and the taking down of Christ from the cross. The paintings, by V.E.A. Bosin, of Hauho, were painted in 1846. The other paintings in the church were painted by Antti Salmenlinna in 1939.
The church museum displays old parish artefacts, which speak of ecclesiastical life and ceremonies, also chronicling the important position of the Church in society. The oldest artefacts date back to the 18th century. The most special items at the museum are found in a collection of old wooden grave memorials from the 19th century and the early 20th century. Wooden memorials used to be commonplace but were abandoned because they are not as durable as gravestones.
Near the church is the Luopioinen Local History Museum, open during summer, and nearby is also a surprisingly well-equipped former cowshed, Mikkola Cowshed, where you can find a café, a second-hand shop, art exhibitions, an art leasing shop, a ‘Healthy House’ exhibition, a workshop, and much more!