In Paltanmäki, you can see what life was like in the town of Orivesi from the 19th century to the mid-20th century. The local history museum in the town centre of Orivesi was established already in the 1930s.
Fourteen old timber buildings, from different parts of Orivesi, have been brought to the Paltanmäki open-air museum area, including dwellings, storehouses, a toll mill, and stables. The buildings are fine examples of the building styles of their time and of traditional craftsmanship. The oldest building on the site is over 300 years old. The atmosphere in the dwellings is authentic: the rooms have been furnished with period articles, furniture, and textiles. Artefacts related to dairy production, work in the fields, the blacksmith’s trade, woodwork, and animal husbandry have been collected in the outbuildings. Because the area is hilly, people with reduced mobility can be transported to the museum area by car.
The extensive museum area also has a traditional dugout, built to commemorate the Finnish veterans from the Winter War and the Continuation War (part of World War II). Wartime artefacts have been collected in the dugout so that younger generations can learn more about this time when the independence of Finland was under threat. The dugout is open by appointment: tel. +358 40 748 1887 or +358 400 233 843. The anti aircraft gun outside the dugout represents home-front defence and the history of the Orivesi arms depot, which spans more than 60 years.
Contacts and opening hours:
Paltanmäki, 35300 Orivesi
During the summer season 2018 the museum is open 12.6. – 12.8. 2018 on Tue-Sun 11 am-4 pm.