The Eräjärvi Church Museum is housed in the beautiful yellow-painted Eräjärvi Church. The first Eräjärvi chapel was built in the late 17th century. The current, third, wooden church was built by Eräjärvi’s Matti Åkergren and inaugurated in the summer of 1821. Typical of its period, the symmetrical cruciform church has a bell tower on its western flank. Also, the corners where the sections of the cross meet are bevelled. Parish objects and old items from a mobile school have been displayed in the bell tower since 1974. Also displayed is information on the famous church-builders of the area. In addition to Åkergren, these included his uncle Matti Åkerblom and Antti Piimänen.
When you visit the church, do not miss its beautiful cemetery. In addition to tombstones, the cemetery has the sculpture ‘Church roosters’ by Aimo Tukiainen. Next to the cemetery is a log-built granary building from 1864. This houses the Eräjärvi Stone Museum, which displays minerals aplenty and the history of the stone industry in the area.